Wednesday, June 12, 2024

My experience with remote work as a mother of two (POV a mother in a dual income household)

(This POV was constructed from the blog author's own research on the topic) 

 From Maki Suzuki


I am a 42 year old woman working for an IT company. I am married with children who are 7 and 10. I've always decided to keep my job even after giving birth, but it has honestly gotten increasingly difficult to manage. For years even though our family has double income and my husband and I promised to share domestic labor, most of the house hold work and invisible labor such as taking our kids to the doctor, going to their schools, and managing everyone's schedules have eventually fallen on me. It was difficult enough for me to handle a full time job on top of all of my duties at home. So, in 2020 when my company decided to implement remote work in our work system, I thought it was a great way for me to make time for myself and other responsibilities. Soon after I started working from home, I realized I could not have been more wrong. I thought I was going to have more time to do other things since I started working remotely, and so did my husband, so more house hold responsibility started to become my chores, and because I am in an environment where I can manage both domestic and paid labor, the two started to pile up on me both at the same time, and the distinction between work and my own time has become less and less clearer by the day. A couple months in, I realized that I was doing even more work for my company and family, and the little time I used to have for myself was basically non-existent. 

This experience proved to me that if you have responsibilities just as important at home as working outside is, you will end up not having a place for you to get away from either of them, and other people as well as you yourself will take your time for granted and make yourself work even more.


written by Manu

1 comment:

  1. This is a _very_ believable and authentic perspective that is well described and expressed.

    ReplyDelete

About our NGO, WLW

WLW (Work and Life for Women) What we are about We are a non-profit organization owned by women based in Japan.where women's participati...