Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Perspective of the quota system (POV retired women)

(This POV was constructed from the blog author's own research on the topic) 

From Tomoko Ikeda


I am Tomoko Ikeda, and recently, I have retired from the company I worked for 40 years.

40 years ago, when I was 22......I graduated from Kyoto University with a degree of science and soon after I started working at a major science firm in Osaka and became a researcher. It seemed that it was easy to get promoted since I have a passion for science and I am good at it. And also my bosses really liked me.

Then, I got pregnant at the age of 32 and had to leave a company for a while. I was really happy to have my very first child and my desire to get promoted hit a peak, since I thought I was responsible for my entire family.

After returning to my job, I think it was when I was 34, my situation in the workplace has completely changed. At the beginning, I thought I could adopt into the workplace even after having a child. But my expectation was totally wrong. Child can often get a sick and the amount of housework increased. I struggled doing all of the thing for my child and all the stuff for the housework by myself... So, after 6 months of struggle, I finally asked my husband to help and share duties and he agreed because he is a supportive men.

Later, I could balance my work and private life, I finally started thinking seriously my career and worked really, really hard at the workplace. I was promoted, but that I was not able to be promoted as much as men did. I ended up in a lower position compared to male coworker. I tried so hard so I don't regret my treatment at all.

However, I got a chance to talk with women who worked at US company where the quota system was introduced. She told me she could get promoted in her early stages because of the quota system, and finally became one of the executive of her company. Hearing her story, I wondered if the quota system was introduce, there might be chance for the promotion... but past is past, I don't care about the promotion anymore. 

BUT I hope the situation will be improved and also hope more and more companies to introduce the quota system for the future generations, especially for women who seek their promotions like me.


Written by Shioppy


1 comment:

  1. I think that the work environment for women in Japan should be improved. There must be a lot of women in Japan who gave up their carrers in exchange of having a baby. My mother used to work at a bank and loved her job but she had to quit when she got pregnant with me. Although she went back into work after she had me, she got mentally unstable and practically forced to resign when her colleagues and boss harrased her by saying that mothers don't belong in the workplace but they belong in home where they take care of the house and the children. I don't think this should ever be allowed. I know that things got a little better now but still there is a gender inequality in workplaces in Japan. I hope this situation will be improved someday.

    ReplyDelete

About our NGO, WLW

WLW (Work and Life for Women) What we are about We are a non-profit organization owned by women based in Japan.where women's participati...